Wednesday, December 1, 2010

your ears will have a FIELD DAY


I'm not a particularly attentive blogger. At all. Part of it is the sorry acknowledgment that the content will merely be an explosion of erratic, giddy words falling on top of one another detailing, in the main, food. And possibly the odd half hearted stab at a current affairs topic that will invariably lead back to, yes, food. The other part of it is that I am also actually lazier than I realise. This does make sense, however, as presumably most lazy people don't realise they're lazy. So technically it's not my fault. *trails off confusedly...*

Anyway.

I want to leap onto my friends' musical bandwagons and parrot my latest recommendations. I understand that some may consider this *gesticulates inverted comma signs wildly* copying, but I live under a rock and am simply not cool or quick enough to discover music on my own. Sadly, I seem to have a friend that EVERY TIME I proudly produce a song or a new artist to he's already got their album, read the latest interview in The Guardian and is going to see them, actually, in an intimate gig tomorrow night. His raised eyebrows and skinny jeans ooze louche. Louche people are the movers and shakers of the music industry. Not me, the personification of an over excitable springer spaniel.

So.

The five favourites my ears are loving listening to right now are:

James Blake - CMYK

Crystal Castles - Not in Love ft Robert Smith

LCD Soundsystem - Dance Yrself Clean

Pariah - The Slump

The xx - Basic Space (Pariah remix)


James Blake's voice is raw and earthy. Shut your eyes and drink in the plinky intro that moves deliciously into a sultry, dub step-y beat. His cover of Feist's "Limit to your Love" is, simply, beautiful and well worth a listen. Music for a long, dark bus journey along London's lamp lit streets. Crystal Castle's, "Not In Love," makes you warm and fuzzy in all the right places - Robert Smith's voice conjuring images of broken hearted teenagers crooning to his posters plastered over their bedroom walls. Gorgeous. As for LCD Soundsystem their new album, "This Is Happening" is beautifully crafted. Couldn't decide which track to put up as have been blasting the whole album through my earphones to be honest. But the whole thing is effortlessly cool and the music heaves and swells and fizzes as it dances through your body. It won't disappoint. Lastly there's Pariah, another young 'un playing with similar sounds to Blake. His remix of The xx's "Basic Space" is utter euphoric bliss, and his tunes are unassumingly beautiful, melodic yet twitchy.

There's also a Hot Chip "We Have Remixes" album coming out which promises to be very good - whack your email address into this link and get the Time Machine Remix Edit of "Hand Me Down Your Love" by Todd Edwards. Boom. Enjoy.

Over and out.

(See? Springer spaniel.)

No comments:

Post a Comment